Picture Slider

Wednesday 29 December 2010

Memories....my very first cruise

If you notice I have recently changed my blog and added a couple new features, which ships I have been on and where have I been in the world.


While I was thinking of these, in the deep and distant past I remembered my first cruise way back in 1970! You may say I am not that old, thank you but I am and was 10 when I remember the family, parents, 2 brothers, Auntie and cousin set off on an epic mini- cruise to Norway.

I had never been abroad and there were 7 of us in a cabin, not a suite I would add! In the depths of November to sail from Newcastle to Stavanger, Bergen, Stavanger and back to Newcastle.

My research lead me to the TS Leda, helped by asking my father, not really a cruise ship in those days operated by Bergen Line. My memories are of a large cruise ship, but the passage of time and my young age when we went meant that this was not the case. She was in today's terms a small ferry/cruise/cargo ship although if you follow this link, you can see that in later years she was converted into a cruise ship.

Now I do remember that the weather was bad ans seasickness was abound in our family group. Perhaps the seas were not as bad as I recall, just such a small ship operating in one of the roughest seas in the world!

Now one of the interesting things about Bergen Line was that they operated jointly with Fred Olsen the Black Watch for nearly 20 years; she was the Jupiter in the summer under the Bergen Line banner and Black Watch in winter for Fred Olsen operating in the main to the Canaries.

It did take me a long time to cruise again, but not just because of the weather, but I have to say that I now love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment