Picture Slider

Thursday 29 September 2011

My Cruise on Queen Victoria to the Greek Isles and Aegean Treasures - part 2 the Ship

I recently wrote about the itinerary in my last blog, please read, so I thought I'd now talk about the ship and experience on board.


I have been lucky enough to sail on Queen Mary 2 and saw Queen Elizabeth when she was launched in Southampton, so I was really looking forward to spending a pleasant cruise on QV.
My first view was that she is intrinsically the same ship as the Queen Elizabeth, far smaller than QM2 and more of a cruise ship than an Ocean liner but this does not comprise on space and I never felt as though she was full to overflowing even though she had been fully sold out.

The public spaces are well appointed and maintained, and throughout the cruise I did not find it difficult to find a seat in any of the bars, lounges or the nightclub, Hemispheres when I went to them. In fact the staff were scrambling to serve you to have something to do in the Golden Lion, great for a traditional pub lunch though, and with draft Guinness!



Grand Lobby

Golden Lion
Champagne Bar

Food and service on board was I thought excellent, I heard of people saying the service was not up to scratch, but it does depend on the waiter and I found that everything was at a standard that I was very happy with. In fact we had a bonus on the table front, Table 396 deck 2, right at the back with an excellent view through the windows, perfect.

There is speciality dining in Todd English, and they do an alternative dinning in the Lido and it is disappointing that since my last Cunard cruise they have started to charge a supplement for the alternative dining. However, they have just moved the 'Taste of India' from the Lido to the Todd English - charge has doubled for this from $10 to $20pp - but I have to say the food and service was excellent.

I don't usually take pictures of food, but this is the starter.


The cabisn are no different in size to those on Queen Elizabeth, but how much time do you really spend in the cabin. So for 12 nights it was just perfect, one day I will go for a Grills just to see how the other half live!

Overall, this was an excellent cruise. The itinerary was just perfect and went to the places we wanted, the weather which was in the late 20's everyday, except the rain in Dubrovnik, added to an excellent experience onboard - all in all the perfect atmosphere to book another cruise especially as we are now Gold Cunard World Club Members.

Rain in Dubrovnik, but it went in 20 minutes

But the offers on board this time were not as good as last year, my credit card bill last week was just £3 after the on board spend we had for the cruise, so I think I'm going to sit and wait and see what happens to the price of the Queen Elizabeth cruise we want to do.

As I say, its the overall cost when you get off that you have to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment