Picture Slider

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Cruise to see a natural phenomenon, or not depending on the weather!

Over the last few weeks I have had a lot of conversations about cruises with a hint of something different, 'natural phenomenon', so what do I mean?

Well as you know I recently went on the QM2, to 'The Land of the Midnight Sun'. Well as you all know such things are subject to the vagaries of the weather, it was more like 'The Land of the Midnight Overcast!' As you can tell from the picture of low clouds over the North Cape at about 11 O'clock at night!

So when I was asked about the Fred Olsen's trip to see the Northern lights, on Boudicca in Feb 2012 I thought, what an excellent trip top do something different and try to catch the natural phenomenon of the Aurora Borealis. And I know that this cruise has become really popular because it is the first time that Fred Olsen has sailed to this area in the winter months.


I am told that this is one of the best times to see the lights in the Northern hemisphere, but it needs to be a  clear night to get the full effect.

There is also a similar phenomenon in the southern hemisphere, and you can also see the Northern lights in Alaska. So to be honest there are a number of different opportunities to see them from a cruise!

So as no one can guarantee the weather, and I know because I did not see the sun at all in the Artic circle, I hope that it won't turn out to be a disappointment for those who go. If you have similar weather to my trip, you'll just have to hope that Fred Olsen Cruises do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment