Picture Slider

Sunday 18 July 2010

Social history lessons on ship ......Cunard Heritage

As you can see from previous posts I have recently got back from 10 days on QM2, and throughout the ship there are various posters and displays about the history of both the ship and Cunard Line as well as displays showing the many 'famous' people who have used Cunard ships over the years.

The mosaic of Sir Samuel Cunard is made up of little images of many of the ships from the Cunard fleet, as you can see from the image across.

There is a long history and many ships have sailed under the Cunard name, but this week when reading the paper I read a story about the loss of life on the Lancastria in 1940 while she was acting as a troop ship.

She must be one of the ships in the mosaic, but not sure where so I thought I'd look for some background. What I did find was this Cunard Heritage site, great background about all the ships and history of the company.



No comments:

Post a Comment