Picture Slider

Thursday 17 December 2009

ESTA - the low down








If you are traveling to the USA, the days of filling out a green Visa Waiver form on a plane for entry into the US have ended.

You now need to fill in an online request to enter the States, at least three days before travelling, otherwise you may be turned away at US immigration.

The process is called the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation form or ESTA for short.  The only way to apply is online, but it is a painless process and you'll usually get a decision in minutes, although it can take up to a few days. Once done the ESTA lasts for 2 years or until your passport expires which ever comes first.

It is free, and you do not need to use those links on the internet which charges for the service. Below is a link to the US governments own free website to allow you to do the application yourself.

Free ESTA application link

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stuart, just finished reading your blog about ESTA. I wanted to let you know that filling our the green card to enter the USA has not ended. I travelled to America on 29th December 2009, and despite having the ESTA application, I was given a green card to fill out on the aircraft,and which was taken from me at JFK airport. A small part of the green form was attached to my passport and then retrieved when I was leaving the USA. I don't really see the point of it, but there it is. I hope you do not mind me pointing this out, but I think your clients should have all of the information.

    ReplyDelete